At the Downtown College Park Farmers Market this past weekend, nutritionist Katherine Tallmadge stopped by to make a delicious and refreshing variation of traditional salsa. Katherine used primarily fresh ingredients from the market’s two produce vendors, Larry’s Produce and Miller Farms, so stop by the market this weekend and give the recipe a try yourself.
- 1 lb vine-ripe, fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb chopped watermelon, seeds removed
- 1 large candy onion, peeled and chopped (about a 1/2 lb)
- 3-4 jalapeno peppers, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3-4 tbsp fresh lime juice (1-2 limes)
- Add the onion to the tomatoes and watermelon.
- Finely chop 2 of the jalapeno peppers to start with.
- Taste, and if you desire more heat add 1-2 more jalapenos.
- Mix in the cilantro.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Mix in the lime juice .
- Serve this salsa with grilled salmon, chicken, beef, or tortilla chips.